April 18th, 2018
Typeface just got a whole lot better! Introducing Typeface 2: Improved font management, more smart features and still a lovely simple UI.
- Typeface now supports importing directories. Choose CommandO to import a directory or drag and drop a directory from Finder onto Typeface app. > or press
- Imported directories are automatically synced on each start (new fonts are added, removed fonts are deleted from Typeface).
- Typeface will automatically import fonts from Font Book on each start.
- Brand new sidebar with (custom) tags
- To open/close the sidebar: swipe right/left with two fingers, use the new sidebar button in the toolbar or press Command/
- The sidebar automatically opens when you drag fonts towards it, so you can keep it closed if you want.
- Create new tags by using the + button on the sidebar or press CommandN.
- The tags implementation in Typeface is very flexible: you’re able to create nested tags, combine tags, subtract tags and invert tags.
- Nest tags: simply add the / character to a tag name to create a nested tag, e.g. “projects/company”. You can nest multiple levels deep.
- Combine tags: Command click multiple tags in the sidebar to combine.
- Subtract tags: Use the Search field to narrow down your visible previews. The search field autocompletes tags when you start typing the # character.
- Invert tags: Option click on a tag in the sidebar to invert it, e.g. ‘Activated’ becomes ‘Deactivated’
- Typeface will automatically add style tags to imported fonts (script/sans etc.)
- The previous Quick Collection is automatically restored on start (#saved-quick-collection)
- The Quick Collection is still here as a ‘persistent’ version of selection.
- To support a more traditional ‘selection’ workflow, you can toggle the ‘Collection Priority’ mode in Settings.
- Drag all your collected fonts by holding down Command and drag.
- Use CommandA / CommandShiftA to collect all / uncollect all.
- Hold CommandShift and click to collect a range.
- Use the ‘Edit’ menu to batch apply tags to all your collected previews.
- You can drag fonts to tags in the Sidebar to attach that tag to the dragged font(s).
- Hold Option to remove the tag from the dragged font(s).
- Hold Command to drag all collected fonts in the current view.
- When dragging the sidebar will automatically highlight already attached tags.
- When dragging in ‘Collapse Families’ mode, you’ll automatically drag all fonts in the family.
- If you drag fonts to the ‘Activated’ tag the dragged fonts will be activated (if you hold Option the fonts will be deactivated).
- Added dedicated search field.
- Moved preview input to ‘Aa’ button (you can also summon the preview input by pressing CommandL or the Spacebar key).
- Changed tracking modifier key to Option (previously Command).
- You can right click a preview to start comparing.
- Added Quick Collection drop down in compare bar (click blue font name in compare bar to quickly switch between collected fonts).
- On the detail view a new ‘Info’ tab is added, which shows basic font information.
- Below the table the currently added tags are available, you can click on user tags and remove them. System tags (the second row) cannot be removed.
Auto Activation (experimental)
- Auto Activation is available for supported apps, you can turn it on in Settings.